Omani Foreign Minister Sayyid Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi and his Iranian counterpart Seyed Abbas Araghchi discussed efforts to restore freedom of navigation through the Strait of Hormuz during a phone call on Friday, according to Oman's Foreign Ministry.
The two ministers discussed developments concerning navigation through the strategic waterway and stressed the need to continue talks toward practical understandings that would facilitate the resumption and smooth flow of navigation while supporting regional security and stability, the ministry said.
They also reviewed the latest regional developments and efforts to create conditions for resuming dialogue and negotiations aimed at narrowing differences and reaching peaceful solutions to outstanding issues.
Iran and Oman have been holding talks in recent months over navigation arrangements through the Strait of Hormuz. On Monday, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said the two countries had agreed on the map of a new route for maritime traffic through the strait and were expected to finalize an agreement in the form of a package comprising the map and a joint statement.
Oman, Iran FMs discuss restoring freedom of navigation in Hormuz Strait over phone
Iranian Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi said in a social media post on Friday that the "crushing economic operation" threatened by the United States against Iran is doomed to fail, just like previous sanctions had failed.
"14 years ago: 'Most crippling sanctions in history.' Failed. 8 years ago: 'Maximum pressure.' Failed. 5 months ago: 'Unconditional surrender.' Failed. Today: 'Most crushing economic operation ever.' Bound to fail," Araghchi posted on social media platform X.
The remarks came after U.S. President Donald Trump announced on Wednesday "the most crushing economic operation ever taken" against any country providing a lifeline to Iran.
"This will be Economic Warfare and Isolation on an unprecedented scale," Trump posted on Truth Social, calling the move "an ECONOMIC D-DAY."
On June 18, the United States and Iran signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on ending the war in the region on all fronts, including Lebanon. Under the MoU, they were scheduled to hold negotiations within a period of 60 days, which ended on Monday, to reach a final agreement, but the talks' fate remains unclear following the escalation between the two countries last month.
Iran's FM says Washington's anti-Tehran economic operation doomed to fail