Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Heavy rain triggers flash flood in southwest China county

China

China

China

Heavy rain triggers flash flood in southwest China county

2026-08-22 17:48 Last Updated At:20:37

Extremely heavy rain battered the Mabian Yi Autonomous County in Leshan, southwest China's Sichuan Province, in the early hours of Saturday, triggering flash floods that inundated streets and damaged properties, forcing the evacuation of over 1,400 residents.

The local weather service issued an orange alert -- the second highest in China's four-tier color-coded weather warning system -- for the heavy rain at 01:33 and upgraded it to a red one -- the highest -- at 02:44.

The rain triggered flash floods, causing floodwaters to surge into urban areas.

Several streets were submerged, with large amounts of debris washed onto the roads.

Many vehicles, shops, and buildings along the streets were also flooded and damaged.

Efforts to assess the damage, clear debris, and carry out other recovery work are gathering pace. Measures to prevent secondary disasters are being implemented simultaneously.

As the rain ceased in the morning, debris removal and recovery efforts in the affected areas began immediately.

As the flood has left some residents stranded, local authorities swiftly organized personnel to carry out emergency rescue operations.

As of 07:00, a total of 446 households of 1,455 people had been evacuated and relocated across the county.

"We have mobilized approximately 2,000 personnel and over 30 vehicles and pieces of machinery to carry out emergency response and debris removal across the entire affected area. We expect to complete the road clearance and traffic restoration by tomorrow afternoon. We will soon begin disinfection across the entire area," said Ren Wenfeng, Communist Party committee secretary of Minjian Town of the Mabian Yi Autonomous County.

Heavy rain triggers flash flood in southwest China county

Heavy rain triggers flash flood in southwest China county

A humanoid robot named "Lightning" clocked 9.32 seconds in a pre-race 100-meter test on Saturday, faster than Usain Bolt's world record of 9.58 seconds, as the 2026 World Humanoid Robot Games kicked off at Beijing's National Speed Skating Oval.

The robot, developed by Honor's team and winner of this year's Beijing E-Town Humanoid Robot Half Marathon, hit a peak speed of 14.5 meters per second during the trial run ahead of the official competition. The games, which opened Saturday evening, will see over 2,000 robots from 666 teams across 16 countries on six continents compete over five days.

Lightning will compete in the 100-meter, 400-meter and 1,500-meter racing events. Unlike April's half-marathon that tested endurance, the games demand explosive power over short distances, prompting developers to fine-tune the robot's design.

"We extended the leg length by 10 centimeters to increase stride length and boost speed. The joint modules were also upgraded for greater torque and faster response times," said Gao Shiming, head of embodied perception at Honor's New Industry Incubation Division.

This year's games have raised the bar significantly, with most track events requiring robots to complete races fully autonomously, except for the 100-meter and 400-meter obstacle courses. Time limits have been tightened: robots must finish the 100-meter, 400-meter and 1,500-meter races within one minute, five minutes and 15 minutes, respectively. Whether sprinting straight or starting on a curve, each event will test the robots' vision systems, decision-making algorithms and algorithmic stability.

Humanoid robot beats Bolt's 100m record in pre-race test at Beijing games

Humanoid robot beats Bolt's 100m record in pre-race test at Beijing games

Recommended Articles