The hantavirus-hit cruise ship MV Hondius arrived at the Dutch port of Rotterdam on Monday for disinfection, concluding a voyage that had drawn the attention of international health authorities.
The crew members are set to enter quarantine immediately. Those unable to return to their home countries will undergo quarantine in the Netherlands, the Dutch health ministry said last week.
According to Oceanwide Expeditions, the Dutch vessel's operator, there are currently 27 people on board, including 25 crew members and two medical personnel. The group consists of 17 Filipinos, four Dutch nationals, four Ukrainians, one Russian and one Polish national. Most of them will undergo a six-week quarantine in Rotterdam.
The remaining crew and medical staff on board will "disembark in a staggered approach upon arrival in Rotterdam, in close coordination with the cleaning process," Oceanwide Expeditions said in a statement on Sunday.
Meanwhile, the situation is being closely monitored and managed by the Dutch National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM).
"Today the ship arrived in Rotterdam, and with the last remaining crew, 25 persons and two medical staff, they will be going off board now and they will be received by the municipal health service of Rotterdam and they will be having a medical checkup. And all people will be medically monitored and quarantined in proper situations so there's no risk of further spread," said Tjalling Leenstra, head of the Dutch coordination center for communicable disease control at RIVM.
The likelihood of the hantavirus spreading in the Netherlands remains very low, the RIVM said in a statement Monday, adding that "The municipal health service is in daily contact with the passengers. They will need to monitor their health. If symptoms develop, they can receive medical care quickly and with the appropriate precautions."
A member of the local press also pointed out that the sparse population in the area further reduces the risk of spread.
"There are not many people living nearby. There are no houses in quite a large distance. It's quite far away from where people live. And I don't think they are too worried about it. I think they read about all the precautions that have been taken already and they know that they will be isolated in this little village," said Sander van der Werf, a local reporter in Rotterdam.
Upon the vessel's arrival, the health authority began inspection and the collection of samples at the port of Rotterdam. "The ship will be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected," the RIVM said. The process is expected to take one week.
Cleaning crews are required to use personal protective equipment to ensure safe working conditions. According to the RIVM, the measures are intended to prevent further infections and allow the ship to return to service safely.
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship docks in Rotterdam
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship docks in Rotterdam
