Seven fire-affected buildings at Wang Fuk Court will be open to residents again for the retrieval of belongings from May 21 to 29. The first batch of residents to return is from Wang Tai House, Wang Sun House, and Wang Yan House. Each unit may be accessed by up to four residents, who may stay inside for up to three hours, with no restrictions on the number of entries and exits.
Wang Fuk Court, Photo by Bastille Post
Ms. Ho, a Wang Tai resident who has lived there since 1985, said she had already retrieved most of her belongings earlier. This time, she wanted to go through every corner carefully. "Since I have lived in Wang Fuk Court for so many years, I have a deep affection for every part of this place," she said. Despite the heavy rainfall today, she continued her retrieval as scheduled. "I want to take a second, careful look at my home."
Click to Gallery
Wang Fuk Court, Photo by Bastille Post
Ms. Ho, Photo by Bastille Post
Mr. Wan, Photo by Bastille Post
Mrs. Kwok, Photo by Bastille Post
Wang Fuk Court, Photo by Bastille Post
Seven fire-affected buildings at Wang Fuk Court will be open to residents again for the retrieval of belongings from May 21 to 29. Photo by Bastille Post
Ms. Ho, Photo by Bastille Post
Mr. Wan, who has also lived in Wang Yan House since 1985, said his greatest wish this time was to retrieve a photo taken more than a decade ago - a picture of his father holding him in their family shop. He grew up in that store and treasures the memory. Mr. Wan revealed that during the previous retrieval, most of his home remained intact, and he had already recovered gold jewelry and the house deed. "I'd be satisfied just to get back a stack of photos this time," he said. Mr. Wan is currently living in government-provided transitional housing, though he believes the living environment needs improvement: "It's hard to cook, the bathroom is tiny, and when it poured yesterday, water leaked right through the ceiling."
Mr. Wan, Photo by Bastille Post
Mrs. Kwok, who lives on a lower floor of Wang Tai House, returned to her old home to retrieve her belongings. She packed up an undamaged umbrella — not particularly valuable, she admitted, but "better than nothing." She also recovered some small souvenirs and her son's Octopus card. Describing her mixed emotions, she said she was grateful to see her old neighbors again, yet could not hide her sadness in the face of the disaster. Choking back tears during the interview, she said, "I'm so grateful that so many people have come to help us. I'm very happy that I can come up again today and retrace the memories of the past." She added that she had known the family in unit 802 for many years and had watched their children grow up. She revealed that the neighbor's father had died in the fire and that many of the neighbors she knew also lost their lives. Mrs. Kwok said she is currently staying in Kai Tak, while her husband is temporarily living at their son's home.
Mrs. Kwok, Photo by Bastille Post
Wang Fuk Court, Photo by Bastille Post
Seven fire-affected buildings at Wang Fuk Court will be open to residents again for the retrieval of belongings from May 21 to 29. Photo by Bastille Post
The government has arranged for residents of Wang Chi House, who were not directly affected by the fire at Wang Fuk Court, to return to their units in batches again over five days, starting this Wednesday (May 13). Each allocated unit may be entered by up to four people at a time, with each visit lasting up to three hours. During this period, residents are allowed to go up and down the building multiple times.
The government has arranged for residents of Wang Chi House, who were not directly affected by the fire at Wang Fuk Court, to return to their units in batches again over five days, starting this Wednesday (May 13). Photo by Bastille Post
Photo by Bastille Post
Photo by Bastille Post
Photo by Bastille Post
Mr. Lam, who has lived in Wang Chi House for over 30 years, said his parents are too elderly to go upstairs, so he brought a large suitcase to pack their belongings. "This time, I've retrieved things that hold sentimental value, like photo albums. To be honest, I'm not sure when I'll be able to come back again in the coming days to retrieve more." He said he has felt quite depressed these days, after all, he had lived here for many years, and many of his neighbors have already left after the fire. His parents didn't express any particular thoughts; they just wanted to go home. Mr. Lam said he would livestream to his parents while packing upstairs and ask them if they needed anything.
Mr. Lam, Photo by Bastille Post
Ms. Lam, who lives on the sixth floor of Wang Chi House, said she hurried to retrieve her work-related awards this time. "As a driver, I've collected many safety awards and service awards. All the awards I could achieve in 26 years have been obtained." She had hoped to take everything from her home that she had accumulated over decades, but couldn't finish. "The new appliances from the renovation hold so many memories. I wanted to take the furniture too." She said if given another chance, she would hire a moving company to assist her.
Ms. Lam, Photo by Bastille Post
Ms. Lam said she hopes that all Wang Fuk residents can soon be arranged with a new place to settle in, as they are currently living in interim housing. "Since the government has the plan, it would be best to arrange it quickly," she said. As a retiree, she had once hoped to enjoy her retirement life in the renovated unit; however, the fire took that wish away. She now has to rebuild her life for the future. When asked about the retrieval arrangement, Ms. Lam said the government has done well, with social workers, police, and volunteers all willing to lend a hand.
Photo by Bastille Post
Photo by Bastille Post