Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

U.S.-Iran tensions flare again as military threats, diplomatic efforts collide

China

China

China

U.S.-Iran tensions flare again as military threats, diplomatic efforts collide

2026-05-23 17:19 Last Updated At:20:17

The United States is preparing for a possible new military strike on Iran despite ongoing diplomatic efforts, prompting Iran to warn of a "new combat model" and the opening of additional fronts if attacked, as mediators race to salvage a stopgap agreement to prevent further escalation.

President Donald Trump said on social media on Friday that he would miss his son's wedding this weekend due to "circumstances pertaining to Government."

While no final decision on strikes had been made as of Friday afternoon, defense and intelligence officials have begun updating recall lists for U.S. troops stationed in the Middle East, a move aimed at reducing the American footprint in anticipation of possible Iranian retaliation, according to a report by CBS News.

Meanwhile, mediators are racing to finalize a preliminary agreement to prevent a new U.S.-Israeli military strike on Iran, the Wall Street Journal reported. Insiders say neither Washington nor Tehran is seeking a formal treaty at this stage. Instead, they aim for a letter of intent or a memorandum of understanding to extend the current ceasefire and set a framework for future talks.

If even such a limited document cannot be reached, the U.S. and Israel could launch short-term strikes on Iranian economic targets, such as energy facilities, in the coming days to pressure Tehran into a deal, sources said.

In response, Iran's armed forces are closely monitoring the situation and have drawn up new operational plans to counter any "provocative actions" by the U.S. and its allies, Iran's Tasnim News Agency reported on Saturday, citing military sources.

The sources warned that if U.S. and Israeli forces take reckless action, Iran would respond with a new combat model, deploying new equipment, striking new targets, employing fresh strategic and tactical approaches, and opening up new fronts beyond its current borders.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said on social media on Friday that he had discussed the latest regional situation and diplomatic progress in the Pakistan-mediated U.S.-Iran talks with Secretary-General of the United Nations Antonio Guterres.

"America's repeated betrayals of diplomacy, its military aggression against Iran, along with contradictory positions and repeated excessive demands" are obstacles to the negotiation process, Araghchi wrote.

He added that despite deep distrust of the U.S., Iran remains engaged in the diplomatic process responsibly and seriously, striving to achieve a reasonable and fair outcome.

U.S.-Iran tensions flare again as military threats, diplomatic efforts collide

U.S.-Iran tensions flare again as military threats, diplomatic efforts collide

Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif arrived in Hangzhou on Saturday for an official visit to China that will run through Tuesday, at the invitation of Premier Li Qiang.

During his stay in Hangzhou, Sharif is expected to attend signing ceremonies, meet local officials, and visit Chinese technology companies.

One of the key events will be a business-to-business investment summit on Sunday, bringing together senior executives and industry leaders from both countries. The focus is expected to be on investment opportunities in artificial intelligence, the digital economy and advanced manufacturing.

Sharif is expected to meet with President Xi Jinping and hold talks with Li in Beijing afterwards. He will also attend a reception marking the 75th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between China and Pakistan.

Pakistani prime minister arrives in Hangzhou for official visit

Pakistani prime minister arrives in Hangzhou for official visit

Recommended Articles