Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Iran states in final stages of concluding MoU with US

China

China

China

Iran states in final stages of concluding MoU with US

2026-05-24 02:10 Last Updated At:04:17

Iran and the United States are in the final stages of concluding a memorandum of understanding (MoU), with the views of both sides moving toward greater alignment after weeks of talks, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said Saturday.

According to Baghaei, the 14-point MoU includes "the most important issues necessary for ending the war and matters that are fundamental" to Iran.

Baghaei emphasized that Iran, through a resolute and firm stance, had prevented any clauses harmful to its national interests from being included in the text.

The spokesman said the current phase of talks does not involve details on nuclear issues or sanctions relief. However, he reiterated that Iran's demand for the lifting of sanctions had been incorporated into the current draft text, saying this was Iran's firm and unwavering position.

U.S. President Donald Trump said Saturday that the United States and Iran are "getting a lot closer" to finalizing an agreement between the two countries, CBS News reported.

The latest proposal includes a process to re-open the Strait of Hormuz, the unfreezing of some Iranian assets held in foreign banks, and a continuation of negotiations, according to the CBS report.

Trump also told U.S. news outlet Axios that he might decide on Sunday whether to resume the war against Iran following discussions with his advisers.

Trump said he would meet later Saturday with his envoy Steve Witkoff and son-in-law Jared Kushner to discuss Iran's latest response. Vice President JD Vance is also expected to attend.

During his visit to India on Saturday, U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said talks with Iran had made progress, while stressing that Washington's position that Iran must not develop nuclear weapons remained unchanged.

Iran states in final stages of concluding MoU with US

Iran states in final stages of concluding MoU with US

A total of 82 people have been confirmed dead while two others remained missing after a coal mine gas explosion in north China's Shanxi Province on Friday, officials said at a press conference on Saturday.

Another 128 people were receiving treatment in hospitals, including two in critical condition and two in serious condition.

"A gas explosion hit the Liushenyu coal mine, owned by Tongzhou Group, in Qinyuan County at 19:29 on Friday, with 247 people working underground at the time. As of the press conference, 82 people had been confirmed dead, and two remained missing. The search and rescue have been underway. Another 128 people were injured and hospitalized, while 35 were uninjured and had returned home," said Chen Xiangyang, mayor of Changzhi City, which administers Qinyuan.

Officials at the press conference attributed the initial inaccurate figures to chaos at the scene and the company's failure to provide the accurate headcount of workers on duty.

Toxic and harmful gases under the mine shaft have exceeded safe limits for a long time, posing a risk of secondary disasters.

Chen told the press conference that the company involved in the coal mine explosion had been found to have "serious violations of laws and regulations," and that those responsible for the company had been placed under control. The company's coal mines have ceased production for safety overhaul, said Chen.

The cause of the accident is still under investigation, he added.

North China coal mine explosion leaves 82 dead, 2 missing

North China coal mine explosion leaves 82 dead, 2 missing

Recommended Articles