The United Nations Security Council on Wednesday held an emergency public meeting on the situation in the Middle East, with representatives of the United States and Iran expressing opposing views over recent escalations in the region.
Tensions have been inflamed after an Israeli airstrike on Tuesday targeted a southern suburb of Beirut, reportedly killing Hezbollah's top military commander, Fouad Shokor, who was allegedly behind a cross-border rocket attack that killed 12 young people in the Israeli-controlled Golan Heights on Saturday.
This was followed on Wednesday by the death of Hamas Politburo Chief Ismail Haniyeh, who was killed in the Iranian capital Tehran after his residence was attacked in an alleged Israeli assassination.
The U.S. said Israel has the right to defend itself, stressing that it did not participate in Israel's air strikes on the Lebanese capital Beirut on Tuesday, and was not aware of or involved in the death of Haniyeh.
"The United States was not involved with Israel's response on July 30 in Lebanon. That said, there is no doubt, absolutely none, that Hezbollah was responsible for this attack, which used an Iranian weapon and was launched from a portion of Lebanon controlled by Hezbollah," Robert A. Wood, alternate representative of the United States for special political affairs in UN, said at the meeting.
In response, the Iranian representative said the assassination of Haniyeh would not have been possible without the authorization and intelligence support of the United States, and also accused the U.S., the UK and other countries of obstructing the Security Council in adopting a media statement condemning Israel.
"The responsibility of the United States as a strategic ally and main supporter of the Israeli regime in the region cannot be overlooked in this horrific crime. This act could not be occurred without the authorization and intelligence support of the U.S. The continuation of Israel's aggression threatens peace and stability in the region. The international community, particularly the United Nations Security Council, cannot remain indifferent to such heinous crimes and must take decisive action to address this violation and hold the perpetrators accountable," said Amir Saeed Iravani, the permanent representative of Iran to UN.
US, Iranian representatives clash at UN meeting on Middle East situation
US, Iranian representatives clash at UN meeting on Middle East situation
US, Iranian representatives clash at UN meeting on Middle East situation
Residents at a temporary shelter in South Korea are coming to terms with the shock of losing their homes in the worst wildfires in the country's history, with the deadly blazes which have been burning since late last month forcing tens of thousands of people to be evacuated.
The devastating fires -- which first erupted back on March 21 -- have claimed the lives of at least 30 people and injured dozens of others, while more than 3,500 houses and 30 national heritage sites have been damaged.
The flames have so far spread across more than 48,000 hectares of land, according to the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters.
Shell-shocked local people have been sharing the horrifying stories of how they became overwhelmed by the fast-spreading flames and had to rush from their homes.
Jo Soo-gap, a resident of the Yeongdeok County in the severely affected North Gyeongsang Province, told the China Global Television Network (CGTN) of the moment the flames approached.
"We didn't think it would come all the way to our area. That evening, while we were at home, the wind picked up. It felt stronger than a typhoon. I thought it was getting dangerous, so l was preparing to leave with my wife. Then suddenly a neighbor shouted, 'The fire's coming! Get out now!' So we just got in the car and drove toward Pohang,” he recalled.
"When we finally returned at dawn, we found our house had completely burned down and collapsed. Other homes, even if they were mostly destroyed, still had some parts of the frame left. But ours was a two-story villa-style home, and it had completely caved in – flattened right down to its foundation. There was nothing for us left to retrieve,” lamented Jo.
He expressed the hope that the government would help him and his family, as well as the many others affected, to rebuild their homes, while issuing a clear warning to others about the dangers posed by wildfires.
"We hope recovery efforts can proceed quickly, and that the government or local authorities can provide permanent housing so we can rebuild our lives. Fire prevention is no small matter, people should never carry any flammable objects when going into the mountains or fields. I want to emphasize this very clearly," he said.
Meanwhile, Kim Woo-seok, chairman of the Pohang Medical Association, explained how medics are handling the various problems brought by the wildfires, with a particular focus being placed on the welfare of those suffering from chronic diseases.
"The most pressing concern for us is people with chronic illnesses, such as those with high blood pressure or diabetes who need to constantly take their medication. Some patients did not have time to grab their medicines during the evacuation, and the drug withdrawal can cause sudden spikes in their blood pressure or blood sugar levels. So it's crucial that we monitor and stabilize their conditions as quickly as possible,” he said.
Kim stressed that the psychological trauma brought by the wildfires is the most pressing issue, as people slowly come to terms with the significant losses they have suffered.
"However, the biggest emotional shock comes from losing one's home or seeing a loved one fall ill. Those situations can cause severe emotional trauma. People can develop symptoms like panic attacks or depression as a result. These issues require proper counseling and treatment, as the emotional stress can also cause physical symptoms, such as back pain or joint pain. Those are the common cases we see," he said.
Shell-shocked South Korean evacuees lament loss of homes in deadly wildfires