Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Young Chinese breakdancer '671' looks to make mark at Paris Olympics

China

Video Player is loading.
Current Time 0:00
Duration -:-
Loaded: 0%
Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time 0:00
Â
1x
    • Chapters
    • descriptions off, selected
    • captions off, selected
      China

      China

      Young Chinese breakdancer '671' looks to make mark at Paris Olympics

      2024-07-25 18:33 Last Updated At:21:37

      The experience of topping the podium at the 19th Asian Games has become a powerful motivator for Chinese breakdancer Liu Qingyi to strive for success at the upcoming Paris Olympic Games.

      Breakdancing is set to make its debut as an Olympic sport at the 2024 Paris Games, which officially open on Friday, and Liu is tipped to be one of the breakout stars who will make their mark in the French capital.

      The 18-year-old Liu made history at the Outbreak 2022 Street Dance Competition in Slovakia by becoming China's first medalist at an international breaking event, and later went on to win the inaugural title in her sport at the 19th Asian Games held last year in Hangzhou City, east China's Zhejiang Province.

      Liu, also known as B-Girl 671, a moniker she choose due to her full name sounding like the pronunciation of those numbers in Chinese, is eager to shine on the Olympic stage.

      With a fierce drive to perform at her best, Liu is looking to combine new ideas from her coaches alongside the skills she has already mastered during training, as she looks to deliver at the upcoming Paris Olympics.

      "For this period, I have so many things to do, because I have a lot of coaches, so they gave me a lot of advice. So, for me, I need to digest them, then to transfer them to use a way by myself. For now, I just want to use some new things and some old stuff together, then I can find new feelings. I can't only do the new things, because it's very difficult, and I feel maybe not stable. So, for now, [I'll] just try, if I crash, it's okay. But for the Olympics, I think that's the final stage," she said.

      Liu automatically secured her spot at the Paris Olympics thanks to her gold medal at the Asian Games, and said she is honored to represent her nation while pledging to do her best as she searches for more glory.

      "First, I think I'm lucky. I'm proud I can represent China to compete [in] this competition, so I will do my best, then [if] I get [to be] the champion, I'm really happy. I can go to the Olympics straight [after winning at the Asian Games in Hangzhou], so for the Olympics, I also will do my best," she said.

      The Place de la Concorde in central Paris will host the first-ever breaking competition in Olympic history on August 9-10, with 32 dancers from 15 countries and regions competing for men's and women's gold medals.

      Young Chinese breakdancer '671' looks to make mark at Paris Olympics

      Young Chinese breakdancer '671' looks to make mark at Paris Olympics

      Next Article

      Russia, Ukraine dispute on energy facilities attacks

      2025-04-06 13:05 Last Updated At:13:37

      Russia on Saturday accused Ukraine of carrying out 14 attacks on its energy infrastructure in a single day, while Ukraine dismissed it as false claims.

      The Russian Ministry of Defense reported that over the past 24 hours, Russian forces repelled Ukrainian attacks from various directions and launched multiple offensives.

      Russian forces hit Ukrainian military airports, military repair facilities, drone production workshops, ammunition depots, and concentrations of active forces and equipment in 147 areas, according to the report.

      According to another report by the Russian Ministry of Defense on Saturday, from Friday night to Saturday morning, Russian air defense systems across multiple locations successfully shot down and intercepted 49 Ukrainian drones.

      Governor of Samara Region Vyacheslav Fedorishchev said on Saturday that Ukrainian drones attacked an industrial facility in the region, causing a fire.

      On the same day, the General Staff of the Ukrainian Armed Forces issued a statement accusing the Russian Defense Ministry of spreading false information. The claim that Ukrainian forces attacked Russian energy infrastructure was false, and the Ukrainian military targeted Russian military objectives only, according to the statement.

      The General Staff of the Ukrainian Armed Forces also reported on Saturday that 145 combat engagements occurred across frontline over the past 24 hours.

      The Ukrainian air force, missile units and artillery attacked 17 areas where Russian personnel, weapons and military equipment were concentrated, according to the report.

      According to another report by the Ukrainian air force on Saturday, Russian forces launched 92 drones at Ukraine from 21:00 Friday to Saturday local time. By 09:00 local time on Saturday, Ukrainian forces confirmed the downing of 51 drones.

      Russia, Ukraine dispute on energy facilities attacks

      Russia, Ukraine dispute on energy facilities attacks

      Recommended Articles
      Hot · Posts