Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Chinese sites included among diverse new inscriptions on UNESCO World Heritage List

China

Video Player is loading.
Current Time 0:00
Duration -:-
Loaded: 0%
Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time 0:00
Â
1x
    • Chapters
    • descriptions off, selected
    • captions off, selected
      China

      China

      Chinese sites included among diverse new inscriptions on UNESCO World Heritage List

      2024-08-01 03:02 Last Updated At:06:17

      China has seen three of its cherished sites included among the new additions made to the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) World Heritage List, which honors locations deemed to be of significant cultural, historical, or scientific value.

      The Chinese sites were among 24 added during the 46th session of the UNESCO World Heritage Committee in New Delhi, India, bringing the overall total to 1,223 inscribed properties.

      The majority of these have been included in the cultural category in recognition of their integrity, authenticity, protection and management status. Among them is the Beijing Central Axis, an area located right in the heart of the Chinese capital which includes a host of historical sites including the renowned Forbidden City.

      "The cultural sites are really a treasure for humanity. People from all around the world, they have so much in common when we talk about culture and when we value about culture," said Yang Xinyu, China's Ambassador to UNESCO, in a interview on the sidelines of the New Delhi session.

      Also at this session, China's "Badain Jaran Desert - Towers of Sand and Lakes" and "Migratory Bird Sanctuaries along the Coast of Yellow Sea-Bohai Gulf of China (Phase II) were reviewed and approved by the World Heritage Committee, also successfully entering the World Heritage List.

      Located in the hyper-arid region of northwestern China, the Badain Jaran Desert is the country's third largest desert. Its notable features include the world's tallest, stabilized sand mega-dune, which reaches a relative height of 460 meters, the highest concentration of inter-dunal lakes, and the largest expanse of so-called singing sands and wind-eroded landforms.

      The Migratory Bird Sanctuaries along the Coast of the Yellow Sea-Bohai Gulf of China (Phase II) is a serial extension of the property of the same name that is already listed on the World Heritage List. The newly-admitted five sites are part of Phase II, while Phase I sanctuaries were inscribed on the World Heritage List in 2019.

      Tim Badman, director of the World Heritage Programme under the IUCN, hailed the sheer diversity of sites chosen, and also noted the inclusion of 'phrase II' of the Migratory Bird Sanctuaries along the Coast of the Yellow Sea-Bohai Gulf of China, an extension of a site which had previously been inscribed on the World Heritage List back in 2019.

      "We have sites that have been listed for their geological values, sites listed for their cave biodiversity -- the incredible animals that live isolated from the outside world. And we have a very important site that's been listed in China, which recognizes a series of migratory sites for the birds that pass across many countries," said Badman.

      The World Heritage Committee also considered properties in the endangered category and added the Saint Hilarion Monastery in the war-torn Gaza Strip, which is deemed one of the oldest sites in the Middle East.

      "For us, it's a hope for people, because our people are suffering so much. And the inscription of this site came under an emergency basis, and it is inscribed on the World Heritage List [as a site] in danger," said Ahmad Rjoob, general director of the World Heritage Directorate.

      The 46th session of the UNESCO World Heritage Committee took place from July 21 to 31 in the Indian capital.

      Chinese sites included among diverse new inscriptions on UNESCO World Heritage List

      Chinese sites included among diverse new inscriptions on UNESCO World Heritage List

      Next Article

      US tariff move sparks criticism, concern in Germany

      2025-04-04 13:02 Last Updated At:14:07

      The latest U.S. tariffs on imported vehicles are expected to increase uncertainty in global supply chains and could significantly impact automakers around the world, including those in Germany, German experts said recently.

      U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Wednesday to impose 25 percent tariffs on all imported vehicles, starting from Thursday, while tariffs on auto parts will be fully implemented by May 3.

      As one of the world's leading automobile manufacturers, Germany's automotive industry relies heavily on international markets, with the United States serving as a key export destination.

      Industry insiders warn that the recent move by the U.S. is likely to increase uncertainty in global market and could have a significant impact on automakers worldwide, including those in Germany.

      In a statement released on Thursday, Hildegard Muller, president of the German Association of the Automotive Industry, criticized the U.S. imposition of 25 percent additional tariffs on the automotive industry, calling it a serious blow to global supply chains that could create uncertainty for German car companies and their investments in the U.S.

      Trump's policy is not "America First," but "America Isolated," and this protectionist approach will only lead to more losers, ultimately impacting American consumers, businesses, and the global economy, said Muller.

      Omer Sahin Ganiyusufoglu, a member of German National Academy of Science and Engineering, said that the tariffs will increase the cost of manufacturing vehicles. Consequently, American consumers will face higher car prices, making it difficult for anyone to win.

      "Tariff policies can be implemented swiftly, but it's important to carefully assess their effects. When tariffs are imposed on imported goods, the burden usually falls on consumers or businesses. These tariffs don't genuinely benefit the domestic population, and people will eventually recognize this," said Ganiyusufoglu.

      "The U.S. will come to realize that in trying to throw a stone at others, it has ended up hurting itself and damaging its own citizens," he added.

      Industry insiders note that the global automotive industry is at a crucial turning point in electrification and digital transformation, with technological innovation and supply chain restructuring as key development focuses. However, the recent U.S. tariff policy creates market uncertainty, prompting companies to reevaluate their global strategies.

      US tariff move sparks criticism, concern in Germany

      US tariff move sparks criticism, concern in Germany

      US tariff move sparks criticism, concern in Germany

      US tariff move sparks criticism, concern in Germany

      Recommended Articles
      Hot · Posts