- "pin down the reasons"
- an idiomatic expression
- a similar phrase in Chinese: "找出原因"
Example sentence: "We need to pin down the reasons why sales have been declining."
(我們需要找出銷售額下降的原因。)
- "make the first step"
- “邁出第一步”
Example sentence: "If you want to achieve your goals, you have to make the first step."
(如果你想實現你的目標,你必須邁出第一步。)
- xxx is/are in stark contrast with yyy
- xxx 和 yyy 有明顯的分別
- 用作比較、對比
Example sentence: "The peaceful countryside is in stark contrast with the bustling city."
(寧靜的鄉村與繁華的城市形成了鮮明的對比。)
- Bursting onto the scene
- "突然出現" / 爆紅
Example sentence: "The new singer is bursting onto the scene with her debut album."
(這位新歌手憑藉她首張專輯突然出現在大眾視野中。)
- Imagine what / how 試想像
- 適用於Speech / article / blog
- 用作引言做入戲句
Example sentence: "Imagine how much easier life would be if we had teleportation technology."
(想像一下,如果我們有傳送技術,生活會變得多麼容易。)
- What springs to mind when you think of xxx? 提起xxx你會想到甚麼?
- 適用於Speech / article/ blog
- 用作引言做入戲句
Example sentence: "What springs to mind when you think of summertime?"
(當你想到夏天,腦海中首先浮現的是什麼?)
- It is high time 是時候
- 後面動詞用past tense
- 促使某人 / 組織take action
- 適用於letter to the editor / article
Example sentence: It is high time we started taking action to address climate change.
(現在是時候採取行動應對氣候變化了。)
- Add fuels to 火上加油
- 形容令情況惡化
Example sentence: "When you gossip about someone, it just adds fuel to the fire of their problems."
(當你對別人事情說閒話時,只會火上澆油,讓他們的問題更加嚴重。)
- It is crucial, if not vital to…. 做…十分重要
- 強調做某件事十分重要
Example sentence: “It is crucial, if not vital, that we address climate change before it's too late."
(在為時已晚之前,我們必須解決氣候變化這個非常重要的問題。)
- Under the circumstances that
- "在...的情况下"
- 能用作假設某情況
Example sentence: "Under the circumstances that we are short on time, we'll have to prioritize our tasks."
(在時間不充裕的情況下,我們必須優先完成任務。)
Spencer Lam
** 博客文章文責自負,不代表本公司立場 **