Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Rays' Pepiot nearing return after being hospitalized for a knee infection likely from spider bite

Sport

Rays' Pepiot nearing return after being hospitalized for a knee infection likely from spider bite
Sport

Sport

Rays' Pepiot nearing return after being hospitalized for a knee infection likely from spider bite

2024-08-13 06:16 Last Updated At:06:31

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) — Tampa Bay Rays pitcher Ryan Pepiot could return to the rotation late this week after being hospitalized last month for a knee infection that is believed to the result of a spider bite during the All-Star break.

Pepiot was admitted to Columbia University Medical Center in New York and received antibiotics in his right knee after being placed on the 15-day injured list on July 19.

Pepiot had some bug bites while playing golf during the break, but make the trip for a series at the New York Yankees.

The swelling in his knee reached a point where he needed help to walk into the hospital.

"The first couple days, like, when I went into the hospital, it was real bad," Pepiot said before Monday night's game with Houston. “I couldn't put any weight on my right leg. The first few days it was pretty swollen, a lot of fluid, and it was kind of slushy.”

Pepiot said the swelling is down, which allowed him to get back on the mound.

A 26-year-old right-hander, Pepiot is 6-5 with a 3.92 ERA in 17 starts. He was acquired from the Dodgers in December as part of the trade that sent right-hander Tyler Glasnow to Los Angeles.

Pepiot last pitched for the Rays on July 14, throwing six innings of two-hit ball in a 2-0 win over Cleveland. He started for Double-A Montgomery on Saturday, and rejoined the team Sunday to continue working out.

He will be adjusting his golfing attire, forgoing shorts.

“I’ll be wearing pants whenever I, like, do something outside,” Pepiot said. “When I play golf, I get the scenic view of the golf course."

AP MLB: https://apnews.com/hub/MLB

Tampa Bay Rays pitcher Ryan Pepiot warms up before a baseball game against the Houston Astros Monday, Aug. 12, 2024, in St. Petersburg, Fla. Pepiot has on the injured list with a leg infection. (AP Photo/Chris O'Meara)

Tampa Bay Rays pitcher Ryan Pepiot warms up before a baseball game against the Houston Astros Monday, Aug. 12, 2024, in St. Petersburg, Fla. Pepiot has on the injured list with a leg infection. (AP Photo/Chris O'Meara)

The United States and the United Kingdom looked set on Thursday to be picked by FIFA next year as hosts of Women’s World Cups expanded to 48 teams from 32.

Their respective intentions to bid for the 2031 and 2035 editions are alone in the contests after a first deadline to enter the race passed. The first formal bid documents must be signed by the end of April.

FIFA President Gianni Infantino told European soccer officials the governing body received one expression of interest to host the 2031 event — from the U.S. with the possibility of other countries in the CONCACAF region joining the project. That long-promised bid would likely include Mexico.

“We look forward to sharing more details and unveiling our full vision for the 2031 FIFA Women’s World Cup in the near future,” the U.S. Soccer Federation said in a statement.

FIFA has just one “valid bid” to host the 2035 event, from the British member federations centered on England, Infantino said at UEFA’s annual meeting in Belgrade, Serbia.

“Hosting the first FIFA World Cup since 1966 with our home nations partners will be very special," English FA CEO Mark Bullingham said. "The hard work starts now, to put together the best possible bid by the end of the year.”

The U.K.'s interest was quickly supported last month by British Prime Minister Keir Starmer when FIFA said it was formally seeking bids from member federations. FIFA excluded Europe from the 2031 contest, clearing the way for a long-expected U.S. win.

Spanish soccer officials said last week they hoped to bid, possibly with Portugal and Morocco in a repeat of the co-hosting plan for the men’s 2030 World Cup. It was unclear why Spain did not then meet Monday's deadline set by FIFA to express interest in bidding.

Infantino’s comments to the annual meeting of UEFA seemed to rule out a Spain bid now being allowed.

“So the path is there for the Women’s World Cup to be taking place in ’31 and ’35 in some great countries,” the FIFA president said, “to boost even more the women’s football movement.”

FIFA is scheduled to confirm Women’s World Cup hosts next year. The 2027 edition with 32 teams is being hosted by Brazil.

The Women’s World Cup would return to the U.S. for the first time since the 2003 edition. The U.S. also hosted in 1999.

England hosted the Women’s European Championship in 2022 — which the home team won — and the men’s Euro 2028 will be co-hosted by England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland.

In a further boost for women’s soccer, Infantino detailed FIFA’s plan to have more women’s teams than men’s playing at the next Olympics.

There were just 12 teams in the women’s tournament at the 2024 Paris Olympics and 16 in the men’s tournament.

Though the International Olympic Committee strongly supports gender equality at the games, adding four more women’s teams — and about 70 extra players, plus team officials — would push the limit of agreed athlete quotas for organizers in Los Angeles.

Infantino said on Thursday that FIFA’s new proposal is to flip the numbers to have 16 women’s teams and 12 in the men’s tournaments.

The final decision is for the IOC, which has an executive board meeting next Wednesday.

AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer

UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin and FIFA president Gianni Infantino, left, holding a ball during the 49th UEFA congress in Belgrade, Serbia, Thursday, April 3, 2025. (AP Photo/Darko Vojinovic)

UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin and FIFA president Gianni Infantino, left, holding a ball during the 49th UEFA congress in Belgrade, Serbia, Thursday, April 3, 2025. (AP Photo/Darko Vojinovic)

FIFA president Gianni Infantino shakes hands with delegates at the 49th ordinary UEFA congress in Belgrade, Serbia, Thursday, April 3, 2025. (AP Photo/Darko Vojinovic)

FIFA president Gianni Infantino shakes hands with delegates at the 49th ordinary UEFA congress in Belgrade, Serbia, Thursday, April 3, 2025. (AP Photo/Darko Vojinovic)

FIFA president Gianni Infantino speaks to delegates at the 49th ordinary UEFA congress in Belgrade, Serbia, Thursday, April 3, 2025. (AP Photo/Darko Vojinovic)

FIFA president Gianni Infantino speaks to delegates at the 49th ordinary UEFA congress in Belgrade, Serbia, Thursday, April 3, 2025. (AP Photo/Darko Vojinovic)

UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin delivers his speech during the 49th UEFA congress in Belgrade, Serbia, Thursday, April 3, 2025. (AP Photo/Darko Vojinovic)

UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin delivers his speech during the 49th UEFA congress in Belgrade, Serbia, Thursday, April 3, 2025. (AP Photo/Darko Vojinovic)

Recommended Articles
Hot · Posts