Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Storms leave over 61,000 households without power in Chile

China

Video Player is loading.
Current Time 0:00
Duration -:-
Loaded: 0%
Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time 0:00
Â
1x
    • Chapters
    • descriptions off, selected
    • captions off, selected
      China

      China

      Storms leave over 61,000 households without power in Chile

      2024-08-12 03:20 Last Updated At:17:57

      Over 61,000 households in central and southern Chile remain without power after extreme weather damaged local infrastructure over a week ago, according to the government's Friday report.

      Chile's government urged power distribution companies to expedite maintenance on Friday morning, demanding that power be restored to 20,000 households within 24 hours.

      Earlier this month, central and southern Chile experienced the most destructive winds and rainfall in 30 years, with wind speeds of up to 120 kilometers per hour. Trees were blown down, and power lines were destroyed.

      Compounding the issue, most of the households in the country use traditional power meters, which makes it difficult for power companies to monitor the condition of end users, and for the national emergency response to send maintenance staff in time.

      Chile has experienced more frequent extreme weather in the past 20 years. Experts suggest that power lines in the country need to be renewed and buried, and upgrading to smarter power meters can also help to tackle further power cuts.

      Storms leave over 61,000 households without power in Chile

      Storms leave over 61,000 households without power in Chile

      Storms leave over 61,000 households without power in Chile

      Storms leave over 61,000 households without power in Chile

      Storms leave over 61,000 households without power in Chile

      Storms leave over 61,000 households without power in Chile

      Storms leave over 61,000 households without power in Chile

      Storms leave over 61,000 households without power in Chile

      Next Article

      Senior CPC official mourns passing of Laos' former president

      2025-04-04 01:21 Last Updated At:03:17

      Wang Yi, a member of the Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, went to the Lao Embassy in China on Thursday to mourn the passing of Khamtay Siphandone, former Lao president and former chairman of the Lao People's Revolutionary Party (LPRP).

      Wang, also director of the Office of the Foreign Affairs Commission of the CPC Central Committee, wrote a message in the condolence book.

      Wang said that Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday sent a message to Lao President Thongloun Sisoulith, extending his deep condolences over the passing of former president Khamtay.

      Comrade Khamtay was an outstanding leader of the older generation of the Lao party and state, who made significant contributions to the development of relations between the two parties and two countries, Wang said.

      China stands ready to work with Laos to promote the steady development of the China-Laos community with a shared future under the guidance of the important consensus of the top leaders of both parties and nations, Wang said.

      The Lao side expressed sincere thanks for Wang's condolence visit.

      Senior CPC official mourns passing of Laos' former president

      Senior CPC official mourns passing of Laos' former president

      Recommended Articles
      Hot · Posts