The "one-hour living circle" project in the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area has promoted integration of southern China's cities, and is expected to create more business opportunities and enhance convenience of life.
The project aims to connect major cities in the area with bridges, tunnels and easier border crossing procedures, reducing travel time around the area to about one hour.
Vincent Lam, a Chinese medicine entrepreneur in Macao, has invested in the Hengqin Guangdong-Macao In-Depth Cooperation Zone in Zhuhai, one of the 11 cities in the area.
Hengqin Island began closed-loop customs operations in March, offering tax exemptions for certain goods. Lam said the convenient transportation and favorable policies attracted him to operate one of nearly 6,000 Macao enterprises in this area.
"On one side, it's very close to Macao, it's easy to get to the Belt and Road, Portuguese cities. The cost [here] is lower, the intangible assets for us are more, because here, it's a very big market, I can do online selling, it's much easier, there's huge potential," he said.
Lam's decision also helped create a new cross-border family: Vincent has since married his girlfriend from Zhuhai and started a new life in Hengqin.
"I had two kids in two years. They are really the new generation [of Macao people] to be born in Hengqin, and grow up in Hengqin," he said.
More than 20,000 people from Macao now live in Hengqin, up 20 percent from last year.
Thanks to the Northbound Travel Scheme, Hong Kong and Macao residents can travel more conveniently to the mainland via the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge. Travelers said they expect more communication and a more convenient life in the "one-hour living circle."
"Hong Kong has been back for many years now, and we are a family, after all. The 'one-hour living circle' has been discussed for years, it's finally become a reality. I think it's a breakthrough for domestic circulation," said Stanley Yip, a visitor from Hong Kong.
"We booked a villa for the whole group of friends. We are excited to spend the night here and shop," said Fione Chan, a visitor from Hong Kong.
"We have felt more connected to the mainland in recent years, with new opportunities emerging. I hope for more cultural exchanges and other collaborations, so we can grow stronger together," said Ray Lam, another visitor from Hong Kong.
"One-hour living circle" drives Greater Bay Area integration
Residents at a temporary shelter in South Korea are coming to terms with the shock of losing their homes in the worst wildfires in the country's history, with the deadly blazes which have been burning since late last month forcing tens of thousands of people to be evacuated.
The devastating fires -- which first erupted back on March 21 -- have claimed the lives of at least 30 people and injured dozens of others, while more than 3,500 houses and 30 national heritage sites have been damaged.
The flames have so far spread across more than 48,000 hectares of land, according to the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters.
Shell-shocked local people have been sharing the horrifying stories of how they became overwhelmed by the fast-spreading flames and had to rush from their homes.
Jo Soo-gap, a resident of the Yeongdeok County in the severely affected North Gyeongsang Province, told the China Global Television Network (CGTN) of the moment the flames approached.
"We didn't think it would come all the way to our area. That evening, while we were at home, the wind picked up. It felt stronger than a typhoon. I thought it was getting dangerous, so l was preparing to leave with my wife. Then suddenly a neighbor shouted, 'The fire's coming! Get out now!' So we just got in the car and drove toward Pohang,” he recalled.
"When we finally returned at dawn, we found our house had completely burned down and collapsed. Other homes, even if they were mostly destroyed, still had some parts of the frame left. But ours was a two-story villa-style home, and it had completely caved in – flattened right down to its foundation. There was nothing for us left to retrieve,” lamented Jo.
He expressed the hope that the government would help him and his family, as well as the many others affected, to rebuild their homes, while issuing a clear warning to others about the dangers posed by wildfires.
"We hope recovery efforts can proceed quickly, and that the government or local authorities can provide permanent housing so we can rebuild our lives. Fire prevention is no small matter, people should never carry any flammable objects when going into the mountains or fields. I want to emphasize this very clearly," he said.
Meanwhile, Kim Woo-seok, chairman of the Pohang Medical Association, explained how medics are handling the various problems brought by the wildfires, with a particular focus being placed on the welfare of those suffering from chronic diseases.
"The most pressing concern for us is people with chronic illnesses, such as those with high blood pressure or diabetes who need to constantly take their medication. Some patients did not have time to grab their medicines during the evacuation, and the drug withdrawal can cause sudden spikes in their blood pressure or blood sugar levels. So it's crucial that we monitor and stabilize their conditions as quickly as possible,” he said.
Kim stressed that the psychological trauma brought by the wildfires is the most pressing issue, as people slowly come to terms with the significant losses they have suffered.
"However, the biggest emotional shock comes from losing one's home or seeing a loved one fall ill. Those situations can cause severe emotional trauma. People can develop symptoms like panic attacks or depression as a result. These issues require proper counseling and treatment, as the emotional stress can also cause physical symptoms, such as back pain or joint pain. Those are the common cases we see," he said.
Shell-shocked South Korean evacuees lament loss of homes in deadly wildfires