Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

East China's Zhejiang encourages private investment in port development, operation

China

Video Player is loading.
Current Time 0:00
Duration -:-
Loaded: 0%
Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time 0:00
Â
1x
    • Chapters
    • descriptions off, selected
    • captions off, selected
      China

      China

      East China's Zhejiang encourages private investment in port development, operation

      2024-08-02 17:43 Last Updated At:22:47

      Local authorities in Taizhou City of east China's Zhejiang Province have been encouraging and supporting private enterprises to participate in port construction and operations through reform measures, which effectively stimulates the economic vitality of its coastal areas.

      Jiantiao Port, as the first private port terminal in Sanmen County, has received 124 ships since the start of this year.

      A few years ago, the shoreline resources laid idle due to the successive closure of nearby shipyards. It was at this time that Chen Rongxi, who was in the building materials business, saw the potential of the shoreline here and decided to invest in building a port terminal. However, the initial progress of the project did not go smoothly.

      "It was so difficult. Constructing a dock involves not just one or two departments but more than ten. At that time, we thought that once we bought the land, we could proceed, but it turned out to be more complicated than we had initially thought," said Chen, general manager of Taizhou Hengtou Industry and Trade Co., Ltd.

      In response to the challenges faced by Chen, a dedicated task force was established locally to reexamine approval procedures. Multiple departments collaborated to promote the project, resulting in the creation of a new pathway for private enterprises to participate in port operations.

      At present, what used to be hundreds of pages of approval materials have been condensed into a single concise checklist.

      While streamlining processes, the local authorities have proactively introduced reform pilots, broadening development opportunities for private enterprises.

      Recently, Sanmen has been upgraded to a national first-class open port, expanding its functions from domestic transportation to international trade. "Building on the pilot reforms here, we can develop these shorelines all at one time," said Dai Yong, director of Sanmen County Port and Shipping Development Center.

      Recognizing the new opportunities brought by reforms, an increasing number of private enterprises are participating in the local port construction.

      "We will focus more on the development needs of enterprises, especially private enterprises, continuously deepen pioneering explorations at the grassroots level, and liberate and develop productivity through reform measures," said Ren Yijiang, deputy director of the Sanmen County Party Committee Office, Taizhou.

      East China's Zhejiang encourages private investment in port development, operation

      East China's Zhejiang encourages private investment in port development, operation

      Next Article

      Trump imposes "reciprocal tariffs" amid widespread opposition

      2025-04-03 05:37 Last Updated At:07:17

      Amid widespread opposition, U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday signed two executive orders on the so-called "reciprocal tariffs," imposing a 10-percent "minimum baseline tariff" and higher rates on certain trading partners.

      Trump announced these tariffs in a speech in the White House Rose Garden, during which he also said a 25-percent tariff on cars and car parts imported into the U.S. will take effect on Thursday.

      Many trading partners of the U.S. have previously expressed their opposition, saying that they will take countermeasures in response.

      On Wednesday, President of the European Council Antonio Costa said the European Union must react in a "firm but smart manner" to the reciprocal tariffs.

      "This is truly a major economic mistake for the United States and also for Europe and the entire world," Costa said.

      Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni said the introduction of new U.S. tariffs would have heavy repercussions for Italian producers, adding that she did not rule out "adequate responses" to defend Italian products.

      While stating that the UK is engaging in constructive talks to reach a broader economic prosperity deal with the U.S., British Prime Minister Keir Starmer also said that the country is prepared for all possible scenarios and will not rule out any possibilities

      Trump imposes "reciprocal tariffs" amid widespread opposition

      Trump imposes "reciprocal tariffs" amid widespread opposition

      Recommended Articles
      Hot · Posts